Biking culture is booming in both adventure travel and leisure tourism segments. The young as well as the seasoned are taking on to the street equally with their cool mountain bikes or sophisticated road bikes. From Asia to Europe to America, bicycle travel is not just a means of transport; it's actually a new kind of lifestyle that is celebrated by forward-thinking cycling enthusiasts.
Currently, the market is flooded with apps, wearables and gadgets promising to make you a better athlete, give you a better cycling experience and track your performance. However, only few are able to deliver results.
We have tested multiple apps, wearables and gadgets. But no single app is a complete app for cyclists. You have to have the right combination of apps on your phone to give you a complete experience.
So here we round up a must-have list of 4 brilliant Android and iOS supported apps and electronic wearable gadgets for you to carry along on your biking holiday:
Strava is a Facebook for cyclists. What we like about Strava is that you can compare your cycling performance with other cyclists. As an active cyclist you may have used the free version of Strava but what we like about it most is in the premium version. It is called the Suffer Score. It's not how fast or how far you go: Suffer Score measures how hard you try.
Even if you do not want to opt for the premium version, the free version is equally good at motivating you and helping you measure progress and improvements. Leaderboards, comparing your own segment history, a training diary and the social side of things with comments, creating routes (less useful without Streetview since Strava stopped used Google Maps) and of course, simply scrolling through the activities of others.
Strava helps you record and manage your activities, and even compare your performance against others for a particular climb or segment. Above all Strava is the king of the mountains.
Did you ask for turn-by-turn navigation?
Many cyclists ride with cycling clubs, participate in various local as well as international cyclathons, and even ride for awareness with organizations supporting a noble cause. Normally, these event organizers will handout paper route maps which are pretty difficult and dangerous to keep in front of you while riding. You don’t want to do that!
This is where Ride with GPS comes in. Based around the simple concept of: plan, ride, analyze and compete. Ride with GPS offers a complete program for cyclists and even offers ‘offline maps’ for iPhone and Android. Unlike Strava, their emphasis is not on performance and KOMs, but on exploring new routes and sharing them with others. Last year, this Portland-based Ride with GPS free app had added nearly 500,000 users around the globe, a 250% increase since 2012.
- Ride with GPS is an excellent bike navigation and GPS logging system that is unlikely to disappoint a cycling enthusiast.
- As a registered user this app allows you to either plan a ride or navigate a route already planned.
- It’s an easy to use app that helps you keep track of your riding track.
- You can even share your ride with friends on social media channels like Facebook and Twitter.
- With support for Bluetooth cadence, heart rate and power accessories, Ride with GPS is the best cycling app in the app stores.
- With offline version of RidewithGPS you get voiced turn-by-turn navigation for every route without any cell signal. So no more getting lost. You can pick a route and ride all by yourself.
Wahoo Fitness is a running, cycling and fitness app that harnesses the awesome power of an iPhone to transform the way you ride, run and reach your training and fitness goals. It is a complete workout generator. Powered by Bluetooth it tracks your cycling and running activities. Wahoo can talk to any device very easily. The app reads them all perfectly without connection troubles. It offers an incomparable level of customization such that you can set up as many pages as you want to be displayed on either your iPhone screen or relayed to the watch, no other app offers that.
Their Tickr X device is a perfect heart rate monitor with Bluetooth 4.0.
Bonus features include:
- Tracking distance for the runners
- Tracking running postures for the runners
- Change music with taping on the sensor
- Built-in memory records the activity for cycling or running without the need of a phone and then syncs when phone is in proximity.
- Runs and bike rides can be synced with multiple apps like Nike+, Strava, RidewithGPS, Cycling Analytics etc. by the touch of a button.
- It also syncs maps and heart rate data
- Tickr X also works seamlessly with other apps like Under Armor Record, HRV4Training and more.
Their latest product Elemnt leaves the competition in dust. It’s a GPS bike computer that has all the functionality a smart-cyclist needs.
- Comes with wi-fi, Bluetooth 4.0, Ant+ and GPS
- 16 hours’ battery life with USB recharge option
- Multiple LED lights for quick look notification on turns, messages, phone calls etc.
- Global GPS maps included
- Turn-by-turn navigation
- Live tracking and integration with Strava and RidewithGPS
- Electronic gear shifter and muscle oxygen sensor compatibles.
- Shock proof and waterproof
The Quad Lock iPhone Bike Mount phone cases are engineered, tested and sturdy phone protectors mainly used by mountain bikers, adventure cyclists, trainers and city riders. These are known to be the strongest, lightest and most secure on the market.
The case attaches to your phone very easily and is accompanied by 3 main components in a box: the case, the mount, and the rubber bands. This is your complete Quad Lock bike mount system. The mount attaches to the case using their ‘Quad Lock’ system and locks the case securely in place on the handlebars.
The Quad Lock is so strong and secure that once it is locked you can ride with a free mind on rural bumpy roads, mountainous terrain, or the city potholes and rest assured that your phone hasn’t fallen apart because the Quad Lock is still firmly attached to your handle bars.
With most bike mounts they build the case to protect the phone but Quadlock has designed and engineered their mount (patented design) so your phone never falls off the mount and you can attach and remove the phone with just one hand. The case is sleek, has a good grip and protects the iPhone from normal wear, tear and drops.
The best bike accessories can improve your time, and help you ride more safely and comfortably. We’ve given you the 4 best new cycling apps and gadgets to give context to your rides. What do you think about our list?
Would you recommend any other useful high-tech bike accessories to help take biking to the next level? Leave us a comment, please.